Recipe adapted from Fat Free Vegan
This is a fabulous fat-free dinner and so delicious. Definitely worth all the spices. Time is mostly chopping and baking the aubergine. I would even use two aubergines since I love it so much.
Cooking time: 45 minutes prep. plus 25 minutes cooking.
208 calories per serve, serves 2.
Her voice is thick and deep, and she is beautiful.
1 large aubergine
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 red capsicum, seeded and diced
1 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 can diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons ginger paste or minced ginger root
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 can cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup water
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
1/2 teaspoon gram masala
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1. Fire up spotify, get those tunes cranking.
Phoenix….love these guys. Happy, harmony, voice.
2. Set oven to 200 degrees centigrade. Poke aubergine all over with fork and place in oven for 30-45 minutes.
3. Chop all the vegetables: 1 onion, 1/2 capsicum, 1 close garlic, 2 tsp ginger, 1/2 cup fresh coriander
4. Sing! You still have 20 minutes or so until aubergine is ready.
I know, I know…..Twilight – again! But like I said great soundtracks.
5. Gather the spices
6. Drain the chickpeas
7. Take the aubergine out of the oven. It should look wrinkly and soft.
When it is cool enough to handle, peel the skin off. It should come off easily. Chop it roughly.
Now let’s cook! 25 minutes?
Reminiscing…..a sad song, but also reminds me of sitting in my blue Chrysler sigma until this song finished on the AM radio.
1. Heat the frying pan, add 1 tsp of oil, and onion. Cook until onion is soft.
2. Add the capsicum and cook for a further few minutes.
3. Clear a space in the pan and add the 1 1/4 tsp of cumin seeds waiting until the aroma is released before stirring in.
4. Add the 1 1/4 tsp coriander, 1/2 tsp turmeric, garlic, tomatoes, ginger, and red pepper. Add the eggplant and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Being born in the 80′s makes me acceptable
5. Add the chickpeas and enough water to keep the mixture moist, cover, and turn heat to low. Cook for at least 15 minutes until sauce has thickened .
Bringing it home….so in love with this song.
6. Serve as is! Sprinkle over garam masala (I like lots!) and coriander (again, I like lots!)
Baking to the beat.